“Work hard, Help Others, Attain Excellence !!!”
- I have been a very hardworking person and always believed in helping others even to those who have been my bitter critic and have never been supporting me.
- Have been trying to do anything and everything with PASSION, full dedication and devotion and the best that is possible.
- I believed in Two-way communication.
To communicate and communicate down the line, up the line, laterally, non-verbal (body language).
- Always positive and ever optimist.
- Grooming and developing people to enable them to bring out their best.
- Strong two-way connect with the people.
- Empathetic and counseling people in distress to come out of it.
- Believed in “tough love” – High Task, High Relationship.
- Tried always to be an enabler and problem solver and believed in involving all as a TEAM duly empowering them.
- Belief in self and others – “I am OK. You are OK.”
- Loved people with Compassion and Magnanimity believing that without their total involvement as a team no goal is possible to be achieved.
- Loved and enjoyed work and the assignment whatever I did.
- Always believed in sharing knowledge, educating, creating awareness. Sharpening the skills and fine tuning the Attitude.
- Tried with belief that transformation of people and organizations is possible if sincere and genuine efforts are made to be open to feedback and solving problems on a regular basis.
- Practiced first what learned and preached.
- Belief that motivation by way of rewards and punishment works by way of using incentives , cash and non-cash, as also positive discrimination amongst performers and non-performers.
- Was successful in transforming large number of laid back followers and passengers as hardcore performers to break the myth that only 1/3rd people do 100% jobs. Could involve and motivate more than half of the manpower also in journey of achievements/happiness/success with a lot of deep sincerity and sense of responsibility on my part.
- Encouraged innovation, creativity and initiatives being taken by team members with due recognition and appreciation and rewards.
- I had the courage to take risks and bold and tough decisions also.
- Had the courage to forgive
- Always raised the bar after any achievement of self and the people.
Influences of various incidents in my life:
During the course of long active life of 50+years, certain deep influences left behind by my father, teachers, people, friends, colleagues,incidents etc. have led to certain traits of personality which have been evolving and which guided me throughout my journey of life in managing the people, the situations and the organizations I was associated with.
- My father told me very early on in my life that strong determination and will power can bring miracles. He used to often say – “Where there is a will, there is a way.”
He also taught me a lasting lesson on “Cleanliness and being immaculate” through a very funny episode that happened during my school days.
My father used to quote a few lines for convincing me that,
“In order to achieve something great or big, some sacrifice may have to be made and prepared me even for supreme sacrifice as it happens when the grain is put in the soil, as the seed loses its identify and it makes life of one and all full of happiness when it blossoms and bears desired fruits.”
“agar kuch banna chahe tu. Mita de apni hasti ko, ki dana khaak main milkar, gule gulzaar hota hai.”
He put the seeds of high ambition and value of hardwork very early in my life.
- My Guru and Professor of English Dept. Sh. Santosh Kr. Shrivastava during my college days taught me an Essay – “El Dorado” by R.L. Stevenson, where first time I understood importance of being an optimist and positive outlook towards everything as also the hardwork.
“To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive. And the true success is to labour.”
He used to tell me to be focussed like Arjun who was encouraged by Lord Krishna in Mahabharata to always aim at the target/goal set in hitting at “Bull’s Eye”.
“One aim, One business & One desire”. Scholar Gypsy by Matthew Arnold
He made me a quick learner and highlighted importance of continuous learning in life. He used to quote,
“ I came, I saw, I conquered.” – Alexander
I learnt and found that one can understand and deliver in a very short time, say max 2-3 months at any new place of work/assignment/business.
- Have a dream and nurture it.
“Dream Big, Desire Big, Big Happens.” – Dhirubhai Ambani
Having a dream, a vision and passion to achieve took its roots very early in me.
- Dr Pritam Singh, my Management Guru taught me to think what legacy is being left behind for the posterity. He also inspired always to aim at moving to the next orbit in banking by high growth and focussed leadership. He used to say, ‘Always look within, look around and look beyond.’
- Learnt the doctrine of “forgiveness” during Paryushan Parva of Jainism from my first branch manager Sh. K C Jain during 1979-1980 and realized how difficult for anyone is to forget and forgive and move on. But it is possible. Magnanimity and being large-hearted is essential besides being brave and courageous.
“To err is human and To forgive is divine.”
- “Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high, where knowledge is free,
Where the world has not been broken into fragments by narrow domestic walls,
Where words come out from the depth of truth,
Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever widening though and action,
Into that heaven of freedom, my father, let my country awake.” – Noble Laureate Sh Rabindra Nath Tagore (“Geetanjali”)
- “I don’t believe in excuses for delay, I believe in getting things done.” – Lines I saw behind college Principal’s chair in his office
- “Together we can, Together we will.” – Learning from PNB & Canara Bank
- “Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested.” – Sir Francis Bacon
- “Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man.” – Sir Francis Bacon
- “Woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go and miles to go,
Before I sleep.” – Robert Frost